Semi-truck Accident Frequently Asked Questions
How should I deal with the trucking company's insurance adjuster?
Beware of dealing with the insurance adjuster. They know the potential value of your claim and will work to reduce it. Read more...
What is my truck accident claim worth?
If you have a claim resulting from a catastrophic truck accident, there are several elements that contribute to the damages you will seek. Read more...
Does use of a cell phone by a truck driver make them 100% negligent?
Potentially. If the truck driver used a cell phone during a trucking accident in violation of the federal laws prohibiting certain cell phone uses, then the first step is to establish the evidence that proves so. Read more...
What should I do after an 18-wheeler or semi truck wreck?
If you were involved in an 18-wheeler accident, take these initial steps:
- Seek medical attention right away. Report all injured body parts to the doctor.
- Call the police. The police will obtain information from all parties involved in the accident.
- Find out the following information from the truck driver:
- See complete semi-truck accident to-do checklist
Should I hire an attorney to handle my truck accident case?
Yes. Click here for five important reasons why you should hire an attorney if you have been in a wreck with a semi-truck.
What kind of fees will I be charged to contact a truck accident attorney?
Initial consultations for injured parties should always be free of charge. In fact, throughout the course of your case, you should not ever have to pay anything out of your pocket when you hire a truck accident attorney. Further, any settlement offer that is made should be presented to you with fees and expenses deducted so that you will know, within a range at least, what you will receive in the end.
How do semi-truck wrecks differ from car wrecks?
Drivers of heavy trucks such as 18 wheelers usually have to follow special federal regulations called the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations. These regulations limit the number of hours a truck driver can work in day and in a week. Also, these regulations require truck drivers to keep current log books of their hours worked. These regulations are intended in part to prevent truck drivers from becoming fatigued and causing a bad wreck.
Federal regulations also require most trucking companies to carry at least $750,000 in insurance coverage for a tractor-trailer. If the trailer contains hazardous materials then federal regulations require at least $5,000,000 in insurance coverage.
Who can be sued in an semi truck wreck?
In an 18-wheeler wreck there may be many parties that may be liable for the accident. The liable parties can include the truck driver, the trucking company, the tractor and trailer owner, manufacturers, the loading company, and/or the trucking agency. The 18-wheeler wreck attorneys at Rome, Arata & Baxley can help you recover the compensation you deserve for your injuries and pain and suffering. Please contact our office today.
How do I determine if a truck driver is negligent in a semi truck accident?
Truck driver negligence in an 18-wheeler wreck many include:
- Excessive speed;
- Failure to maintain a proper look-out;
- Failure to maintain proper control of his truck;
- Failure to timely apply the brakes of his vehicle to avoid causing the crash;
- Failure to stop, decrease speed, or avoid the collision;
- Failure to yield;
- Violation of state and federal laws;
- Driving under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs;
What kind of compensation can I receive from a truck accident?
Compensation may include:
- Lost wages
- Lost future earnings
- Medical expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Physical impairment and disfigurement
- Funeral expenses
- Loss of care
- Loss of economic contributions
- Other damages
Ask a Semi-Truck Accident Attorney
Injured in a Trucking Accident?
Get Fair Compensation!
Call today for your free consultation & strategy session.
Vital Information for Semi-Truck Accident Victims
- What to Do If Injured in a Semi-Truck Accident
- Vital Info for Truck Wreck Victims
- How to Find Your Accident Report
- Five Reasons to Hire a Semi-Truck Accident Attorney
Ask a Semi-Truck Accident Attorney
- How should I deal with the trucking company's insurance adjuster?
- What is my truck accident claim worth?
- Does use of a cell phone by a truck driver make them 100% negligent?
- See more...